Masala Kaju Recipe with step by step photos and easy to follow instructions:
Masala Kaju – Spicy Cashew Nuts is a very popular Indian snack prepared with roasted cashew nuts simply dressed with dry powdered spices and a touch of oil or ghee. Masala Kaju is a quick and easy to prepare snack with just a few ingredients and requires only one bowl or pan, who wouldn’t want to make a recipe that will not leave a sink full of dirty pots and pans?
Masala Kaju makes a great party snack for adults and children as well. You can easily tone down the spice level for kids. Masala Kaju is a healthy snack to munch on ……. but can be very addictive. Don’t be surprised if your family members always have their hands in the Masala Kaju jar.
I use pre-roasted cashew nuts for this recipe only because it is easily available. If you don’t have access to pre-roasted nuts, don’t you worry one bit. You can use raw cashew nut. Dry roast the raw cashew nuts in a fry pan over medium-low heat for about 5-7 minutes; stirring constantly. There it is… cashew nuts are ready to be used for make Masala Kaju.
Do you have a friend or relative who is passionate about healthy eating? Masala Kaju makes a great gift for a special day! Pack the Masala Kaju in a nice glass jar, tie a lovely ribbon and place a hand written label on it. Now, who wouldn’t love receiving such a gift?
Now, let’s make some yummy Masala Kaju!
How to make Masala Kaju – Spicy Cashew Nuts:
- Put roasted cashew nuts in a medium size bowl and heat it in the microwave just to warm the nuts. Alternatively, you can heat the nuts in a pan over medium-low heat on the stove.Why do we need to warm the cashew nuts? So the oil will coat all the nuts evenly. If we add oil to the cold nuts, it will not coat the nuts evenly.
- Add oil to the warm nuts and stir to make sure all the nuts are coated evenly. The spices will not stick properly to the nuts if it doesn’t have sufficient oil coating.
Which cooking oil to use? I use avocado oil because it does not have any smell. Feel free to use any kind of cooking you like.
- Add all the spices and shake the bowl to distribute the spices evenly. Make sure all of the nuts are coated with spices.
- Allow the cashew nuts to cool completely before packing. Pack the nuts in an airtight jar. It will keep well for about 15 days.
Masala Kaju Recipe, How to make Masala Kaju at homePrep timeCook timeTotal timeA popular Indian snack prepared with roasted cashew nuts dressed with dry powdered spices and a touch of oil.Author: Raj BrarRecipe type: SnackCuisine: IndianServes: 10-12 servingsIngredients
- 1 pound or 400 grams roasted cashew nuts
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons chaat masala
- 1 teaspoon dry mint powder
NotesChaat Masala - Chaat Masala consists of amchoor/amchur (dried mango powder), cumin, coriander, dried ginger, salt (often black salt), black pepper, asafoetida (Hing) and chili powder, available at some North-American supermarkets and easily available at all Indian grocery stores.3.5.3226
- In a medium bowl, add cashew nuts and heat it in the microwave for 40 seconds.
- Add cooking oil the warm cashew nuts and mix well.
- Sprinkle salt, chaat masala and mint powder; mix well by shaking the bowl to ensure all nuts are coated well.
- Cool and store in an airtight jar for up to 15 days.